[Kde-pim] Git migration rules

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Mar 8 20:04:28 GMT 2010

On Monday 08 March 2010, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 06 March 2010 22:53:40 Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> > as some of you might have heard I am working on writing the rules
> > for kdepim[libs].
>
> Great, thanks :)
>
> > I now have some questions...
> >
> > 1: For the modules that used to live in kdepim but have since moved
> > to kdepimlibs, should they be included in the kdepim git
> > repository or just in the kdepimlibs one?
>
> I don't see any advantage in including the kdepimlibs history in the
> kdepim Git repo.
> However, it might be necessary to include it partly, so that the
> history of the KDE3-based branches is complete.
>
> For example, the kcal library lived in kdepim in KDE3, so at least
> the history of the kcal library until it mas moved to kdepimlibs in
> KDE4 should be included, otherwise the history for the KDE3-based
> branches would be incomplete.
> Including the history of kcal after it was moved to kdepimlibs in the
> kdepim Git repo probably doesn't make sense.
>
> On the other side, the kdepimlibs Git history of kcal should be
> complete, i.e. it should include the history of kcal when it was in
> the kdepim module during KDE3 times as well. Same for all other
> kdepimlibs libraries of course.

Yes.

> There is one special exception: The kabc library used to be in
> kdelibs, until it was moved to kdepimlibs in KDE4. The kdepimlibs
> Git repo should include the history of the time when kabc was in
> kdelibs.
>
> Other stuff actually lived in the kdenetwork module, for example
> KMail. That history should also be included if possible.
>
> > 2: Does anyone know what (if any) submodules that have been deleted
> > and when this happened (or when they existed)?
>
> Hmm, I guess there is lots of stuff. Korn or Kitchensync, for
> example. Why is the list important, what is it used for?
> It might be the best to check the SVN history for deleted and
> moved-away files with a script.
>
> > 3: Does anyone know what branches exist (and existed) that should
> > be included in the git repositories? I have rules that should
> > match any branches that have kdepim or kdepimlibs in there name.
>
> Ok, here a list of branches I remember, roughly ordered by
> importance: enterprise
> 	branches/kdepim/enterprise
> enterprise4
> 	branches/kdepim/enterprise4
> akonadi-ports
> 	branches/work/akonadi-ports
> kdab-post-4.0 branch
> 	branches/work/kdab-post-4.0
> proko2
> 	branches/kdepim/proko2
> summer of code branches
> 	branches/kdepim/soc
> 	branches/kdepim/kmail-soc
> various playground projects (?)
> 3.5.5+ feature branch
> 	branches/work/kdepim-3.5.5+
> scalix branch
> 	branches/kdepim/scalix
> make-it-cool branch (?)
> osnabrück branch (?)

Yes, we should migrate all branches in /branches/kdepim

Additionally, I found
/branches/akregator/*/kdepim
/branches/knode/knode_too/kdepim
/branches/korganizer/lambda_reduce_1/kdepim
/branches/work/soc-kdepim-scripting/

Branches without kdepim in their name
/branches/work/akregator/akonadi-port/
/branches/work/akregator/onlinesync/
/branches/work/allens_pim/
/branches/work/groupwise-kwsdl/ (?)
/branches/work/soc-livingkde/

And then there's a whole bunch of private work branches I didn't look
into.

> > 4: Anyone knows how to test if the generated git repositories
> > include all history they should?
>
> Hmm, maybe check the annotations of some files to see if they seem
> ok.

And check if the history goes back till the first commits. Good
candidates to check are all main.cpp files. KMail's history starts with
revision 221.

Regards,
Ingo