[Kde-pim] IMAP/Pop3 Config UIs

Markus kamikazow at web.de
Sun Mar 28 21:43:58 BST 2010

Am Sonntag 28 März 2010 20:44:10 schrieb Frank Thieme:
> > I'm anyway in favor of providing a list of settings for the most
> > important providers so that all the user has to do is enter his email
> > address and a password in a suitable account setup assistant. But, of
> > course, that's a totally different story.
>
> What are the most important? I guess there is a different answer for each
> country. And they are changing...

Mozilla maintains a set of publicly available XML files for many international
email providers:
https://live.mozillamessaging.com/autoconfig/

KMail could just use it.

> The TB3 wizard tries to find out the combination of incoming and outgoing
> mail servers himself and fails miserably on my setup.

Either your provider is not in that list or with wrong settings. If you have a
public mail provider, I suggest that you submit a XML file to Mozilla.

> Thats ok. What is
> not ok, is that there is no really easy way to tell him to shut up and
> just let me put in those values as I know better than you do. Thats the
> downside with all of those wizards.

No, not in general. Maybe with TB's wizard, but there is no reason why after a
failed autoconfig the wizard shouldn't act normal and offer manual entry of
the settings.

- Markus