[Kde-pim] Help needed... related to GSoC 2010 : the smartphone management problem

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Mar 28 19:34:19 BST 2010

Hi,

On Sunday, 2010-03-28, Dinesh wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> i m done with my mid sem exams n  have done a bit more study on my gsoc
> proposal (of building a proper smartphone managing software) and found that
> Bluetooth DUN support is FINALLY coming to network manager in 8.1 and also,
>
> found this line kbluetooth's source code..(btw. is it only me or for
> everyone the website http://bluetooth.kmobiletools.org/ is down)
>
> "kioslave obex module (browse remote filesystem) - gpothier is already
> working on that" accomplishes most of what i have proposed as for
> integrating the smartphone with KDE Apps...
>
> so m back where i originally started: to build (and to finally use)a proper
> syncing solution btw. kdepim and my mobile..
>
> so i would like to know the current state of opensync support for akonadi /
> kde 4 pim. is any one here implementing it??(i googled for it for a really
> long time and still couldnt find 1...) i didnt understand what their
>  website says by "No date set".(because some1 working on it dont yet know
>  when or no1 is working on it and hence couldnt set any date).

Having suffered from a needless loss of efforts not that long ago due to
decisions made by the OpenSync project, most of us a relunctant to even
consider working on anything related before they actually release something.

> or is it better to write a syncml agent which is tightly integrated with
> akonadi/kde 4 pim directly??

One of the approaches the looks most promising is better KDE integration for
SyncEvolution. Such an integration would basically be twofold: data access
(e.g. in the form of finishing the Akonadi backend for SyncEvolution) and
runtime infrastructure access (KDE bluetooth pairing, device detection, proxy
parameters, etc).

Patrick has created a prototype of the former and can most likely provide a
list (or hints where to look) of things necessary for the second.

Sascha if I remember correctl you indicated that you most likely won't have
time this year to participate in GSOC yourself, do you think you could be a
mentor for this?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring