[Kde-pim] jargon is bad! :)

Dr. Robert Marmorstein robert at narnia.homeunix.com
Tue Mar 23 13:54:26 GMT 2010

> That's not the point. The point is to have a description the user
> understands, even though it might not be 100% accurate or complete.
> Akonadi stores data, so it's a storage, that's a word people understand,
> service as well, layer/API not. And adding to that description the
> trademark name in order to have a unique keyword that is connected to the
> simplified description, in case uniqueness, e.g. for google searches or
> bug reports is needed.

What do you mean by trademark name?  Akonadi and Nepomuk?  That's exactly the
jargon that the original post targeted for elimination.  I agree completely
that we need something in there to make it easy to distinguish between cases,
but I think the best way to do this is to make our error messages detailed and
accurate.

Thanks for pointing out that this affects bug reports, too.  If we replaced all
of our error messages with the two words "something broke" we would have
messages that any user can understand, but we wouldn't be able to identify the
bug without a backtrace or other debugging information.  That makes it much
harder for the general pubic to submit useful bug reports.

Robert