[Kde-pim] jargon is bad! :)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Mar 18 08:40:50 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 16 March 2010 18:32:50 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> of course, in reality, you get a "Brakes failing" message, or maybe even
> "ABS!" on some cars. while ABS is jargon, it's as "good" as they can get
> it  and it usually comes with the "brakes" icon for good measure. but they
> never say "Bosch".

I think an important point to remember here is that people need to be able to
relate
error messages to failure in their system. Users might see an error (say Lion Mail
doesn't work ;-)), if they've read before that Akonadi isn't available, there's no
way to relate that, if they read that the Email Service is down, that's much
clearer.

One of the most important things to help users diagnose (and thus fix) their
problems
is to show those relationships between errors and expected behaviour. That's not
always clear as the failure might be noticed way after the user saw the error.

At least that's my experience from hunting bugs with systems I don't completely
understand and which are thus potentially stressful to me, especially when
something
doesn't work and I don't get feedback immediately or can't relate earlier feedback
my issue.
--
sebas