[Kde-pim] migrating from KMail1 to KMail2 (and back?)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Jun 17 12:52:29 BST 2010

On Thursday, 2010-06-17, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> On Thursday 17 June 2010 13:22:39 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Thursday, 2010-06-17, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > - Is the migration process destructive, so after migration, the KMail1
> > > config + cached data is gone?
> >
> > The migration process itself is only destructive on the user's choice.
> > I.e. when migrating disconnected IMAP accouts, users are presented with
> > the option to either keep the old cache or deleting it after import.
>
> Alright, I understood that (roughly) from your other emails on this
> subject. What is the default here?

This is a question message box with two options, delete old cache being the
active/default button, ESC triggering "keep".
I could add another config option to not ask but always keep though.

> > However, after migration, i.e. when using the new setup, certain portions
> > of the old KMail setup (metadata) might become invalid due to folders
> > being modified and thus making the KMail index files "too old".
>
> Is this reported by KMail then, or what will happen?

AFAIK, KMail will check the timestamp before it attemps loading. If the index
is to old it is ignored and rebuilt.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring