[Kde-pim] migrating from KMail1 to KMail2 (and back?)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jun 17 12:41:02 BST 2010

Hi Kevin,

On Thursday 17 June 2010 13:22:39 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday, 2010-06-17, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > As you can see, we're a bit fuzzy on what will actually work in the
> > migration process:
> >
> > - Are the two configs + data completely independant?
> > - Can KMail1's config be kept, so users who try 2, and want to go back to
> > 1 can do that easily?
>
> The config is copied on first migration attempt. It can be repeated in full
> by deleting the newly created config (and kmail-migratorrc which stores
> the migration state).
>
> So, config wise, this is not a problem.

Awesome, nice work!

> > - Is the migration process destructive, so after migration, the KMail1
> > config + cached data is gone?
>
> The migration process itself is only destructive on the user's choice.
> I.e. when migrating disconnected IMAP accouts, users are presented with the
> option to either keep the old cache or deleting it after import.

Alright, I understood that (roughly) from your other emails on this subject.
What is the default here?

> However, after migration, i.e. when using the new setup, certain portions
> of the old KMail setup (metadata) might become invalid due to folders
> being modified and thus making the KMail index files "too old".

Is this reported by KMail then, or what will happen?

> > - If so, which would be the files to backup, so we can communicate that
> > to our users (this is documented somewhere, right? :))?
>
> Userbase might have pages related to backup of mail setups.

I'll have a look, but looks like this is less relevant, since -- in theory --
there's no need to backup, as you don't destroy current setups.

> I actually wrote a blog entry about testing migration which contains
> information about involved files, etc. but kdedevelopers.org doesn't let me
> login, so I could publish it yet.

OK, I'm on the lookout. :)

Thanks for the quick turnaround time.

sebas