[Kde-pim] KDE/kdepim/kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jun 1 22:52:29 BST 2010

On Tuesday 01 June 2010, Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> On Thursday 27 May 2010 23.17.36 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> [...]
>
> > What is the problem you are trying to fix? What's the actual reason
> > behind this? The only sensible reason I can think of is on-demand
> > dial- up connections where one has to pay per minute (or
> > whatever). But this is no sensible reason either because the
> > proper solution for this is the network manager (or whatever else
> > one uses to control the online/offline status of the whole
> > system). It is a no-brainer that remote Akonadi resources
> > shouldn't check for new mail when the system is switched to
> > offline mode.
>
> How about kmail mobile and it's usage when you are roaming? The phone
> might be online but you don't want to potentially download huge
> mails causing high bills.

Yes? So? This is a completely different use case that needs a completely
different solution. On a mobile you will probably never want huge
messages to be downloaded automatically regardless of KMail's status. On
a mobile you want to be able to tell Akonadi not to download messages
exceeding a certain size. This is orthogonal to the question whether
Akonadi should download mail if KMail is not running.

Regards,
Ingo