[Kde-pim] Marketing, KDE PIM and You

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 21:01:19 GMT 2010

Hi,

One of the topics of the recent Osnabrueck meeting (dot article on the way)
was on marketing KDE PIM, how KDE PIM fits into the rebranded kde, what we
can do about the image and perception of the community and the applications
around KDE PIM.

http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Meetings/Osnabrueck_8#Marketing_Meeting

Some of the action items on the list are

* Get some social networking groups like facebook, twitter and linkedIn
started. We need to figure out how to string them together and update them
with interesting stuff. I'll write a blog asking for an interested user to
take responsibility for the accounts so that we can feed them snippets and I
don't have to learn how it all works :).

* People of KDE PIM series. It's been a while since I've seen a People of
KDE PIM article. Assuming the problem is lack of articles to publish, we're
going to put together a few of them and send them to blauzahl. The questions
are always the same, so I'll post the question list and poke people to
answer them.

* Getting videos onto youtube. There is already information on techbase on
how to create videos. I'll try to poke people a bit to make them. Open
question is whether to use the kde youtube account or set up a kde pim one.
I'm for the former. I could probably get some of the videos I've made before
onto youtube if I had an answer to some of the mysteries of this one.

* Contact journalists with links to information about the cool stuff we're
doing. Martin Feilner was receptive of the links we've already given, and we
can keep that up, and can consider making more paths to users in that kind
of direction.

* Make sure the kde marketing people have information about what is going
into releases. tokoe to check the existing content of the release
announcement and feature guide in re kde pim and particularly kaddressbook
and help updating it if necessary.

* Make sure packagers can easily discover how to correctly configure their
platform so that kdepim/akonadi can work flawlessly. Configuration errors
are often the first contact users have with kde pim and that reflects badly
on what we are creating. tokoe to create a README.packagers and toma to
point kde-packagers to it.

* KDE PIM welcome dude. When we have a new contributor to the mailing lists
we should have someone who will serve as a sort of "mentor" to guide the new
contributor around the bewildering amount of stuff going on, tools etc. The
wiki says tom, but I thought that was to be Thorsten. *shrug*.

Another item which was not on the list is "get feedback/pointers/ideas from
the kde promo folks". So, any thoughts?

All the best,

Steve.