[Kde-pim] Marketing, KDE PIM and You

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 22:36:23 GMT 2010

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I have about 5-6 users who would love to switch to KDE-PIM, in fact
> Outlook is the only reason that at least two of them are still using
> Windows. There are a few open feature requests at BKO describing
> features that they need. There are also tens of outstanding bug
> reports for what Ubuntu calls "papercuts" (small issues that add up to
> make for an unpleasant experience). In my opinion KDE PIM needs to
> take care of these issues before the user base could be expected to
> grow. If you want more details, I can link to specific bugs.

I forgot an important point: target audience. Kontact seems to mostly target
enterprise users or "serious" pim users. With so much of it broken into non-
gui components by now we could start to make (or guide others to make) new
applications which are more fun and focus on social networking, sharing your
pictures of your kitten with your friends, seeing your friends recent blogs,
writing to your friend on twitter or facebook, and doing all of that on one
application screen.

That's one reason why attracting new developers who have the inclination to
innovate like that should be a large part of how we sell kde pim and why we
need to publish more bling.

The number of people using kmail on kde lists is falling. Tokoe can you
publish those plots you made? Our main target audience is existing kde users
at the moment. They are the ones who will have the platform in place anyway,
hopefully working as we expect, and can re-broadcast the coolness and bling
as the multipliers of our message.

All the best,

Steve.