[Kde-pim] knode features and RFE's?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Jan 8 17:47:39 GMT 2010

On Thursday 07 January 2010, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> I'm new to this list, so I hope you'll pardon me asking a few
> introductory questions.
>
> First, is this the right place for discussion of knode development?

Yes.

> So I am looking (yet again) to see if kdepim is at a point that I can
> switch to it from Thunderbird, but I'm still missing several "must
>  have" features from knode:
>
> - side by side view
> - colors that aren't broken
> - tags

Apart from the missing UI this will automatically happen when/if KNode
is ported to Akonadi/Nepomuk.

> - automatic tagging via filters¹

This is already present in KMail and it will be provided by
Akonadi/Nepomuk. So, again, you just have to port KNode to Akonadi. ;-)

> - ??
>
> I can fix the first two, in fact I am already working on it. I am
> guessing the right thing to do with patches is use Review Board?

Correct.

> (¹ For example, I have TB tag all my own messages 'personal' so they
>  are a different color in the message list. I have other such
>  filters, but so far they are all based on sender address. I also
>  apply tags manually.)

Note that our master plan still includes merging of KMail and KNode (at
least code-wise) resp. making both use the same code as much as
possible.

Also note, that KNode currently has 0 developers AFAIK. Also, I guess
Volker would be happy if you took over maintainership of KNode. ;-)
Volker will correct me if I'm wrong.

> I'll be looking at kmail at some point as well.
>
> Other comments:
>
> - I would really appreciate a 'toggle read' as in TB
> - 'm' does something² to messages, but I am not sure what, and the
> shortcut doesn't seem to be configurable (in fact, I made 'mark read'
> use 'm' as alternate and it didn't complain of a conflict, but 'm' is
> still doing some mystery action!)
>
> (² Specifically, it puts a check mark over the message icon. I don't
> know if it does anything else, and I can't figure out how to get rid
>  of the check mark.)

Regards,
Ingo