[Kde-pim] knode features and RFE's?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 8 18:00:04 GMT 2010

Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 07 January 2010, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> So I am looking (yet again) to see if kdepim is at a point that I can
>> switch to it from Thunderbird, but I'm still missing several "must
>>   have" features from knode:
>>
>> - side by side view
>> - colors that aren't broken
>> - tags
>
> Apart from the missing UI this will automatically happen when/if KNode
> is ported to Akonadi/Nepomuk.

I assume you mean "tags", not "all of the above". Hmm, but are those
tags in the sense of "I want this item to display differently in the
list" (different text color, especially), i.e. how TB uses "tags", or as
in search aids? Nepomuk makes me think the latter, which I really don't
care about, but maybe that includes the former also?

>> - automatic tagging via filters¹
>
> This is already present in KMail and it will be provided by
> Akonadi/Nepomuk. So, again, you just have to port KNode to Akonadi. ;-)

Okay. Or... port NNTP to KMail methinks (see below).

>> (¹ For example, I have TB tag all my own messages 'personal' so they
>>   are a different color in the message list. I have other such
>>   filters, but so far they are all based on sender address. I also
>>   apply tags manually.)
>
> Note that our master plan still includes merging of KMail and KNode (at
> least code-wise) resp. making both use the same code as much as
> possible.

That sounds like a good idea.

> Also note, that KNode currently has 0 developers AFAIK. Also, I guess
> Volker would be happy if you took over maintainership of KNode. ;-)
> Volker will correct me if I'm wrong.

Oy, that's not so great. I don't think I'd make a very good maintainer,
I don't get done half the things I should be, already, and taking over
something the size of knode with an unfamiliar-to-me codebase doesn't
seem a good idea. Probably better to just implement NNTP as an account
type into kmail. I /might/ be able to help with that, but...

If you or someone can give me an idea what would be involved in that...?

--
Matthew
If this message is intercepted, the sender will disavow all knowledge of