[Kde-pim] Nepomuk services putting extreme stress on my system

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Feb 14 12:22:39 GMT 2010

Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running the latest Factory packages for openSUSE 11.2, i.e.
> KDE SC 4.4.0 (final)
> akonadi-runtime-1.3.1-47.1.x86_64
> soprano-backend-virtuoso-2.3.70-66.1.x86_64
> virtuoso-server-6.1.0-1.3.x86_64
>
> The Nepomuk services are putting extreme stress on my system. In
> particular, in terms of memory. The most problematic process is the
> nepomukfilewatch service.
>
> After an uptime of a little over 60 minutes 3 GB memory were used
> (without buffers and cached; whatever "cached" is). As I "only" have 2
> GB RAM my system was swapping like mad.

I had a similar case some weeks (~2) ago, when nepomuk eat memory like crazy
and I had to kill it. Unfortunately in such cases the last thing you could
do is debugging, as you want to get back a usable system asap. Here is what
I wrote at that time to #akonadi:
I have a problem again, well, with nepomuk :(
Now that we have virtuoso, I recently enabled nepomuk, and even strigi again
all looked well for a while, at least regarding CPU usage.
but now when I switch in Kmail (not trunk, but before the akonadi ports
merge) to a mail, the switch takes several seconds
and during this time I see in top:
5643 andris    20   0  190m  20m  15m S   54  0.3   5:42.67
/opt/kde4/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukqueryservice
5407 andris    20   0  379m  31m  17m S   41  0.4  17:11.77
/opt/kde4/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukstorage
or something similar
clearly nepomuk is using a lot of cpu at that point. my database now is
around 1.3GB and I disabled strigi when doing this test
I also did that as despite my limitation to 100MB for nepomuk, one nepomuk
service used 2GB!

The CPU usage is fixed meantime both in KMail trunk and branch, but the
memory usage looks similar to what Ingo mentions.

Andras