[Kde-pim] Nepomuk services putting extreme stress on my system

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sun Feb 14 12:45:19 GMT 2010

On Sunday 14 February 2010 12:22:39 Andras Mantia wrote:
> I had a similar case some weeks (~2) ago, when nepomuk eat memory like
> crazy  and I had to kill it. Unfortunately in such cases the last thing
> you could do is debugging, as you want to get back a usable system asap.
> Here is what I wrote at that time to #akonadi:
> I have a problem again, well, with nepomuk
> :(
>                        Now that we have virtuoso, I recently enabled
> nepomuk, and even strigi again all looked well for a while, at least
> regarding CPU usage. but now when I switch in Kmail (not trunk, but before
> the akonadi ports merge) to a mail, the switch takes several seconds and
> during this time I see in top: 5643 andris    20   0  190m  20m  15m
> S   54  0.3   5:42.67
> /opt/kde4/bin/nepomukservicestub
> nepomukqueryservice                           5407
> andris    20   0  379m  31m  17m S   41  0.4  17:11.77
> /opt/kde4/bin/nepomukservicestub
> nepomukstorage                                or something similar clearly
> nepomuk is using a lot of cpu at that point. my database now is around
> 1.3GB and I disabled strigi when doing this test I also did that as
> despite my limitation to 100MB for nepomuk, one nepomuk service used 2GB!
>
> The CPU usage is fixed meantime both in KMail trunk and branch, but the
> memory usage looks similar to what Ingo mentions.

Around the same time I talked to the developers about KMail taking almost a
minute (frozen) when I attempted to send messages.  It turned out that kmail
was searching all my mails for matching addresses - and I have many thousands
of messages.  On realisation of that, they fixed it so that it now stops if it
finds one match.  This may well be what you were seeing.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group