[Kde-pim] Re: Keep computers in sync

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Dec 6 19:42:07 GMT 2010

On Monday 06 December 2010, Philippe Clérié wrote:
> On Sunday, 5 December 2010 16:08:06 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Obviously, the best solution for synching local folders would be a
> > general synchronisation solution which does not only sync email,
> > but also calendar, contacts, etc.
>
> In theory, I agree. In practice, I'm worried.
>
> My understanding of Akonadi is/was that it only stores metadata of
> its own choosing without touching the standard way of storing the
> data. In other words, I thought that a maildir was a maildir and a
> icalendar was still a icalendar. If that were true, then
> synchronizing would not be a problem ( at least for the way I'm
> doing it -- rsync, unison -- ).

For Akonadi this is mostly true. It is not true for Nepomuk which is
used for things like tags. I'm not sure where information like
"replied", "forwarded", "important" is stored, but I think this is also
stored in Nepomuk.

> Right?

Mostly right. My point is that rsync and other low-level tools are no
suitable solution for many people.

Regards,
Ingo