[Kde-pim] Re: Keep computers in sync

Philippe Clérié philippe at gcal.net
Mon Dec 6 21:36:07 GMT 2010

On Monday, 6 December 2010 14:42:07 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 06 December 2010, Philippe Clérié wrote:
> > On Sunday, 5 December 2010 16:08:06 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > Obviously, the best solution for synching local folders would be a
> > > general synchronisation solution which does not only sync email,
> > > but also calendar, contacts, etc.
> >
> > In theory, I agree. In practice, I'm worried.
> >
> > My understanding of Akonadi is/was that it only stores metadata of
> > its own choosing without touching the standard way of storing the
> > data. In other words, I thought that a maildir was a maildir and a
> > icalendar was still a icalendar. If that were true, then
> > synchronizing would not be a problem ( at least for the way I'm
> > doing it -- rsync, unison -- ).
>
> For Akonadi this is mostly true. It is not true for Nepomuk which is
> used for things like tags. I'm not sure where information like
> "replied", "forwarded", "important" is stored, but I think this is also
> stored in Nepomuk.
>
> > Right?
>
> Mostly right. My point is that rsync and other low-level tools are no
> suitable solution for many people.
>

> Regards,
> Ingo

__ mostly ? __

In this context that's not very reassuring.

The maildir format allows for 6 flags, only one of which is user-defined. The
others are for replied, forwarded, seen, deleted, draft. The flags are stored
in the file name.

Low level tools like rsync may not be the right solution for many or even most
people. But they need to work in order to build higher level tools, or you're
going to have to reinvent the wheel. Besides, it worked before. Now it does
not and there are _no_ replacements, that I know of.

Finally, it looks like what used to be a known, open format  is being
transformed unnecessarily into something else, even if only accidentally.

Say it ain't so!!! Please!

--

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>