[Kde-pim] Questions on the KDE 4 synchronisation framework

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Sep 4 11:40:09 BST 2009

Hi Knut,

On Thursday, 2009-09-03, Knut Krause wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just entered your mailinglist. I want to sync my mobile phone (SyncML),
> my Desktop (KDE 4 and so I think akonadi) and my notebook (KDE 4 and
> MacOS). I just could not find any specific informations how I could set
> smth like that up.
>
> Maybe one of you could introduce me into what you got planned to achieve a
> cross platform/technology sync framework and I could offer my help.
> Otherwise I could (and would) start smth to achieve this and would like to
> know your architecture/technology assumptions.

Sascha has been working on SyncML infrastructure for Akonadi as his Google
Summer of Code project.
(playground/pim/syncml)

So far this is mostly for being a SyncML client, i.e. syncing with a SyncML
server.

Implementing a SyncML server, e.g. directly sycning a client device with the
PC, was planned but the available/chosen libraries were too limited.

> As far as I can see we have to connect akonadi to libsyncml or smth like
> that and provide smth to start synchronisation and set everything up.
> Because I'm very new to all those technologies I sadly don't have a really
> concrete view on a solution.
>
> But I'm interested in what you will suggest as a solution and what the KDE
> team already got planned  so I might could help out.

There seems to be consensus to try a server based on Synthesis, maybe
integrating with or reusing parts of SyncEvolution.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring