[Kde-pim] Questions on the KDE 4 synchronisation framework

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 12:31:59 BST 2009

2009/9/4 Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>:
> Hi Knut,
>
> On Friday, 2009-09-04, Knut Krause wrote:
>> Hi Kevin!
>>
>> Am Freitag 04 September 2009 12:40:09 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
>
>> > There seems to be consensus to try a server based on Synthesis, maybe
>> > integrating with or reusing parts of SyncEvolution.
>>
>> Well, I thought myself today about what we (or at least me) want and what
>> we still got. Wouldn't it be a better appraoch to rely on opensync? As far
>> as I know there is an akonadi-opensync-plugin on the way and so we would
>> just need some nice integrated GUI for opensync (kitchensync?). OpenSync
>> itself still can handle various types (SyncML too) and if there is an
>> akonadi plugin there would be everything you need to sync mobile phones,
>> servers (like Funambol) and the KDE-PIM suite... or did I miss smth?
>
> This is one of the occasions where theory and reality to no match.
> In theory OpenSync could be used for that.
> In reality OpenSync is hibernating (probably dead). Some of our folks had a
> dedicated developer meeting with them about a full year ago. They haven't
> managed to release their part of the software in a year but managed to change
> it in incompatible ways several times.
>
> There is no point in basing anything important on OpenSync until it returns as
> a viable upstream project.

I have contacted the OpenSync mailing list earlier this year on their
progress. They genuinely seem interested in progressing, but seem to
lack the resources. I then calculated that it would be August 2010
before they had a viable release based on their roadmap and bug
squashing pace. The schedule seems to have slipped a bit since then.
Please have a look at the thread in which this was discussed:
http://www.nabble.com/One-ticket-per-week--td23158112.html

I urge you to contact he OpenSync team and politely encourage their
progress. You can sign up for their mailing list here:

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il