[Kde-pim] Akonadi/Nepomuk integration with Telepathy

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 20:44:29 BST 2009

George Goldberg wrote:
> How might this information interact with other KDE-PIM applications?
> ----
> The vcards provided for the contact list might make sense to display
> in KContactManager. I'm not sure. I do know, however, that experience
> in Gnome suggests that trying to merge/sync vcards in my personal
> address book with my Instant Messaging server contact list vcards
> leads to disaster. This means that the vcards for Jabber contacts and
> their local entry in the local address book should be kept
> separate.

I think we should try anyway. What disasters do you mean exactly?

> As for the presence information, I imagine that might be a nice thing
> to display alongisde people in KContactManager?

Agreed. But if I have multiple entries for one person, would the presence
only be on the telepathy entry, and not the other one?

> Where does Nepomuk fit in?
> ----
> This is where, for me, it starts to get very confusing. I'm really
> struggling to see what the relationship between Akonadi and Nepomuk is
> supposed to be. For instance, will KContactManager be Nepomuk aware?
>
> Nepomuk has this notion of a person, which seems the perfect way to
> handle the multiple-vcards for one physical person situation. You have
> multiple vcards linked to one Person entity. However, what concerns me
> is that feeding Telepathy contacts straight into Nepomuk might bypass
> KDE PIM applications using Akonadi to store vcard files.

I'm not sure about Nepomuk data storage either, but I guess you could give
the vcards to Akonadi, and tell it that it relates to a particular
PIMO::Person. Or, though some merging operation, have that done outside of
your control (maybe automatically or by user dialog)

Steve.