[Kde-pim] "Configure GnuPG Backend" dialog in KMail / Kleopatra

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Tue Sep 15 21:15:58 BST 2009

Hi,

On Monday 14 September 2009 12:53:49 you wrote:
> In my quest to polish KDE I thought I give my attention to the "Configure
> GnuPG Backend" dialog in KMail that can be reached via "Configure KMail -->
> Security --> Crypro Backends --> GpgME --> Configure."
> I wanted to finally write a patch to make the window look less like a butt-
> ugly construction site, but it turned out to be a bit more complicated.
> The strings are pulled from GnuPG itself and
> kdepim/libkleo/ui/cryptoconfigdialog.cpp is also a bit... um... sparse.
>
> Can anyone of you please point me were to find the file the icon
>  definitions are saved?

You'll see that cryptoconfigdialog.cpp makes use of CryptoConfigModule. That
then makes use of the abstract class CryptoConfig, which can provide abstract
CryptoConfigComponents. The icon name is then taken from
CryptoConfigComponent::iconName(). That is the icon for the config component
(page), it seems.
The pages/components are created in CryptoConfigModule::init()

In the component/page, the widgets are dynamically created, see
CryptoConfigComponentGUI::CryptoConfigComponentGUI(). They consist of a bunch
of CryptoConfigGroupGUIs. The constructor,
CryptoConfigGroupGUI::CryptoConfigGroupGUI, actually creates the real options,
like line edits or checkboxes, using a CryptoConfigEntryGUIFactory.

Since most of the classes defined above are abstract classes, you need to look
at the actual backend to see where that gets the config options from. See
libkleo/backends/qgpgme/qgpgmecryptoconfig.cpp for GpgME.
That backend seems to parse the output of gpgconf. In particular, the icon for
the components/pages comes from QGpgMECryptoConfigComponent::iconName(). I
think mName comes from QGpgMECryptoConfig::slotCollectStdOut(), but I'm not
sure.

I'm not sure if I like the whole approach a lot, just dumping all gpgconf
options at the user seems overwhelming and complicated, I'd prefer a
traditional GUI that groups the options in a user-friendly way, and does not
present every option on earth.

Regards,
Thomas