[Kde-pim] Questions on the KDE 4 synchronisation framework

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at gmx.de
Sun Sep 6 21:40:58 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 13:10 +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday, 2009-09-04, Knut Krause wrote:
> > Actually I do not really know what Synthesis is and what it can do so I
> > might have a look at it right now.
>
> http://www.synthesis.ch/indefero/index.php/p/libsynthesis/

Synthesis is a complete SyncML engine, with full support for the
operations that a SyncML server has to perform for PIM data (matching
items, merging them, converting between different data formats). It also
has the most advanced support for the SyncML protocol itself that I have
seen so far (suspend/resume, uses Device Information to exchange device
capabilities).

For an introduction, see:
http://lwn.net/Articles/333441/
and in a slightly longer version:
http://moblin.org/documentation/syncevolution/pim-data-synchronization-why-it-so-hard

I'm the author of that article and of SyncEvolution, currently a SyncML
client for Evolution and the Mac OS X address book (in 0.8 - 0.9
currently doesn't compile for it). We hope to leverage the capabilities
of the Synthesis engine to provide a full SyncML server soon. We are
just starting with this, but because Synthesis has been working on the
technology for almost 10 years, all the hard problems are already solved
(data handling and formats, which is what is missing in OpenSync) and so
we hope to get something working soon (in October).

After the experience with OpenSync I don't expect anyone to jump onto
another band wagon unless the new project proves itself first. But if
anyone is interested in the design discussions, have a look at the
design document and the mailing list:
http://moblin.org/documentation/syncevolution/direct-synchronization-aka-syncml-server
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mobile.syncevolution

--