[Kde-pim] Questions on the KDE 4 synchronisation framework

Knut Krause soa2ii at lagom.de
Fri Sep 4 11:57:44 BST 2009

Hi Kevin!

Am Freitag 04 September 2009 12:40:09 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > I just entered your mailinglist. I want to sync my mobile phone (SyncML),
> > my Desktop (KDE 4 and so I think akonadi) and my notebook (KDE 4 and
> > MacOS). I just could not find any specific informations how I could set
> > smth like that up.
> >
> > Maybe one of you could introduce me into what you got planned to achieve
> > a cross platform/technology sync framework and I could offer my help.
> > Otherwise I could (and would) start smth to achieve this and would like
> > to know your architecture/technology assumptions.
>
> Sascha has been working on SyncML infrastructure for Akonadi as his Google
> Summer of Code project.
> (playground/pim/syncml)
>
> So far this is mostly for being a SyncML client, i.e. syncing with a SyncML
> server.
>
> Implementing a SyncML server, e.g. directly sycning a client device with
>  the PC, was planned but the available/chosen libraries were too limited.

I just found his stuff today too. Looks quite nice what he did.

> > As far as I can see we have to connect akonadi to libsyncml or smth like
> > that and provide smth to start synchronisation and set everything up.
> > Because I'm very new to all those technologies I sadly don't have a
> > really concrete view on a solution.
> >
> > But I'm interested in what you will suggest as a solution and what the
> > KDE team already got planned  so I might could help out.
>
> There seems to be consensus to try a server based on Synthesis, maybe
> integrating with or reusing parts of SyncEvolution.

Well, I thought myself today about what we (or at least me) want and what we
still got. Wouldn't it be a better appraoch to rely on opensync? As far as I
know there is an akonadi-opensync-plugin on the way and so we would just need
some nice integrated GUI for opensync (kitchensync?). OpenSync itself still
can handle various types (SyncML too) and if there is an akonadi plugin there
would be everything you need to sync mobile phones, servers (like Funambol)
and the KDE-PIM suite... or did I miss smth? Actually I do not really know
what Synthesis is and what it can do so I might have a look at it right now.

Cheers

Knut