[Kde-pim] Questions on the KDE 4 synchronisation framework

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Sep 4 12:10:43 BST 2009

Hi Knut,

On Friday, 2009-09-04, Knut Krause wrote:
> Hi Kevin!
>
> Am Freitag 04 September 2009 12:40:09 schrieb Kevin Krammer:

> > There seems to be consensus to try a server based on Synthesis, maybe
> > integrating with or reusing parts of SyncEvolution.
>
> Well, I thought myself today about what we (or at least me) want and what
> we still got. Wouldn't it be a better appraoch to rely on opensync? As far
> as I know there is an akonadi-opensync-plugin on the way and so we would
> just need some nice integrated GUI for opensync (kitchensync?). OpenSync
> itself still can handle various types (SyncML too) and if there is an
> akonadi plugin there would be everything you need to sync mobile phones,
> servers (like Funambol) and the KDE-PIM suite... or did I miss smth?

This is one of the occasions where theory and reality to no match.
In theory OpenSync could be used for that.
In reality OpenSync is hibernating (probably dead). Some of our folks had a
dedicated developer meeting with them about a full year ago. They haven't
managed to release their part of the software in a year but managed to change
it in incompatible ways several times.

There is no point in basing anything important on OpenSync until it returns as
a viable upstream project.

> Actually I do not really know what Synthesis is and what it can do so I
> might have a look at it right now.

http://www.synthesis.ch/indefero/index.php/p/libsynthesis/

Cheers,
Kevin