[Kde-pim] Proposal for a new pim application

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 21 12:11:40 BST 2009

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 12:39:55 you wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 October 2009 11:21:10 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > I'm not yet quite sure if i got the concepts correctly, but as i
> > understand it, i would get all mails, existing todos, events (as soon as
> > korganizer is ported to akonadi), from akonadi. While for presentation of
> > the stored data (filtering), and all the tagging functionality nepomuk
> > should be used.
> >
> > KJots seems to be bound to the idea of folders and files, which is pretty
> > exactly NOT what i want, although i heard of plans to move it as well to
> > nepomuk (so i'm of course open to work together also there).
>
> This sounds like it's a combination or similar to Basket with some elements
>  of KJots or KNotes in there too.

I had a look at all of them, and none of them is what i need (although i use
kjots quite a lot), but of course i agree that we should avoid to duplicate
any functionality.

I think with the application i have in mind kjots could be easily emulated, by
making a treeview of tags. But i seems to me that the code is a bit bound to
this book/sheet structure atm, so a serious refactoring would be needed.

For the whole todolist i anyway wanted to directly interact with korganizer
todos via akonadi.

Basket goes into a similar direction, but looks a bit too standalone for me,
while the new application would add little extra features but is more or less
just a wrapper around existing things.

KOrganizer should have as primary interface a calendar, while this application
has one showing information. Behind i really want to share as much code as
possible (and also the akonadi items for events, todos, ...)

Thanks for ideas =)