[Kde-pim] Proposal for a new pim application

Dr. Robert Marmorstein robertandbeth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 21:47:24 BST 2009

> Nevertheless i think i does not make sense to have both basket and kjots,
> since they serve a very similar purpose (and with the right interface it
> should be possible to merge those projects, and server both of them).
> So I'm also no committed to work on basket only.

I think providing users with choice is almost always a good thing.  KJots and
BasKet have very different UI goals in mind.  BasKet is designed more or less
as a drop in replacement for OneNote (which I've never actually used, to be
honest, but I hear it's pretty fancy), while KJots (at least from what I can
tell) is designed to be more of a simple, fast, and bare-bones interface.

This is the beauty of code reuse, though.  Once we port enough of BasKet to
Akonadi, we will be able to factor out a lot of stuff into a separate framework
that ANY notes application can use.  We could even have one or more nice
"notes plasmoids" that would interface with the same data as the standalone
applications.  This will reduce code duplication and make it easier to
maintain both applications.

Sort of like how Mailody and KMail serve different audiences, but both share a
common mail storage/caching backend (Akonadi).

I love KDE. :-)

--Robert