[Kde-pim] Proposal for a new pim application

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 21 22:52:05 BST 2009

I had a look at the kde4 port of basket this evening, and now while trying to
sleep i suddenly understood what the key point is in the application i
imagine.

The mail is rather lengthy, so feel free to skip it if you are not interested
in this project.

I have to say something about my habits in advance:

First:
I'm not really good at organizing my stuff.
I usually make a huge mess, and at some point i just have to clean up this
mess. And then everything is sorted properly until i make a huge mess again.

So it looks exactly the same in my filesystem. I usually clutter up my
homefolder, with stuff i don't know where to put, until i start to make new
folders for the stuff which belongs together, and for the rest i make some
"temp", "downloads", "howtos" and throw everything in there.

Second:
I'm really bad at remembering stuff. I can forget things within seconds.
And the only thing which helped so far, is writing down as i think of it,
otherwise it's gone again. And if i have something to do at the moment, i can
be sure i won't remember in 5 minutes (but maybe in 5hours when it's too late)

Third:
I'm lazy.
If i have to figure out where i want to store some info first, and maybe even
start a text processor, i will never write anything down.
And maybe i write it down but store it somewhere where i will never find it
again

The app which i have in mind should basically help me on these problems.

The key point is, that at the time i want to store the information I don't
care where it's stored. I just want to store.
Later when i wan't to access the data, then i care about where it is stored,
but only because i have to know this to access the data.
This is basically the problem of a container (folder/basket/book) based
structure (filesystem, basket, kjots), and this is also why basket and kjots
don't really help me as they are.

To overcome this problem, i want to store the data in just ONE container,
basically a huge growing database, of all notes i ever make.
I believe it should be possible to still find the correct data trough
searching (keywords, date, associated notes).
Anyway i have to know what i am looking for (everything kde related, all
todo's which are not completed), so it should always be possible to find the
right keywords.

And this is also where nepomuk comes in action.
I think with nepomuk, which is fed by text parsers and metadata and manual
tags, it is possible to achieve this, to find the correct data.

Because we integrate with nepomuk, searching for kde related stuff will at the
same time also show me mails which relate to the same topic, and files on my
harddisk, and blockpost from akregator, .....
After all, if i'm searching for info this is what i want to have. As much info
as possible about a certain topic.

Because inserting information needs a minimum of effort, i will also insert
more data, which will in turn make the database more useful.

Of course i want to be able to create todos from this data, but this is
actually rather a convenience function. Anyway korganizer is responsible for
managing my tasks and time (and this app should in no way interfere with
this).

But if i search for some topic, i also want to see the todos i already have
for this topic. This is why it is important, that also the korganizer todo's
show up in this app (through akonadi).

An important point is definitely also the speed of input, sometimes i need to
write something down within seconds (during a talk or so, like when you make a
quick note in a real notepad).
Therefore i need a slick interface, which concentrates on input.
Maybe even trough a krunner command which takes a oneliner note.

Important is that it is later possible to find this line again.

So, after this rather lengthy explanation, i hope i could make myself a bit
clearer.
Let me make clear, that i'm still interested on working together with the
basket, or kjots people. We just need to make clear if we share some common
thoughts or not (still we can share code also otherwise)

So I'll go back to sleep now =)

Cheers,

Chris