[Kde-pim] Reply to Author != Reply to Author ?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Oct 2 00:21:03 BST 2009

On Thursday 01 October 2009, Martin Koller wrote:
> On Thursday 01 October 2009 13:54:08 David Faure wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 October 2009, Tom Albers wrote:
> > > From what I understand from this thread, bugzilla messages are
> > > ok: reply -> takes the reply-to header ->
> > > bug-control at bugs.kde.org
> > >
> > > reply-to-author -> takes the reply-to-header too, which is wrong
> > > and should be fixed and that's what Martin and Thomas sugested.
> >
> > Well, AFAIU that would break the case where the _author_ sets a
> > address, or whatever). That's the problem here: we use Reply-To for
> > bugzilla emails, but instead we should use whatever mailing-lists
> > usually use.
>
> No, I think that's not correct.

It's neither wrong nor entirely correct. It's okay to set the Reply-To
address to bug-control at bugs.kde.org because this way normal replying
will work for all mail clients. In order to make Reply to Author work
in KMail, additionally, the header
should be set. This way KMail will understand bug-control at bugs.kde.org
as mailing list address and use the From address for Reply to Author.

> kmail offers 2 kinds of reply (which we are talking about here):
>
> reply - should use whatever the mail tells kmail to use or kmail
> finds "smart"

> explicitely reply to the author directly, explicitely ignoring what
> the author wants in a reply-to header.

The action is named "Reply to Author". It is _not_ named "Reply to
From". Use the context menu of the From address if you want Reply to
From. Reply to Author behaves exactly as it should behave.

> The author can not avoid that I send him directly a mail, as I can
> simply create a new mail with his address directly given.

Right. Then please do this if you want to ignore the author's
preference. A possible reason for specifying a Reply-to address
different from the From address is if you have to use a certain From
address for sending messages due to a restrictive policy of your ISP,
but you do not want to receive messages at this address because it's
too well known to spammers.

> So, kmail shall simply follow my command.

It does follow your command. The problem is that you misinterpret the
command. :-p
But you are lucky! KMail is Free Software. You can make it follow your
interpretation of the command if you want to. But you must not force
broken behavior on others, so you may not commit your changes.

Regards,
Ingo