[Kde-pim] Proposal for a new pim application

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Oct 21 12:45:37 BST 2009

On Wednesday, 2009-10-21, Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 October 2009 13:19:40 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 2009-10-21, Christian Mollekopf wrote:

[snip]

> > > Basket goes into a similar direction, but looks a bit too standalone
> > > for me, while the new application would add little extra features but
> > > is more or less just a wrapper around existing things.
> >
> > While I haven't used Basket myself, I immediately though of it since what
> > I heard about it sounds just way to similar.
> >
> > I don't get that "bit too standalone" in your paragraph above. Isn't your
> >  idea also to have a specialized application and integrate with others on
> >  the data level?
>
> I had a closer look at basket, and noticed that it has indeed a very
>  similar idea, but the representation of the data is more or less the same
>  as kjots (a tree view). This can be now overcome with nepomuk (i believe).
>
> Further i believe we need some common backend (like akonadi) to share the
> collected and generated data between the pim applications (kmail,
> kjots/newapp, kcalendar, kaddressbook)

Agreed.

> The feeling that it was a standalone application is, because it is still a
>  kde 3.5 application, and according to the website the development stopped
>  there, and the project is dead since one year.

I don't think it has stopped, the site could be out of date.
In fact we had a Google Summer of Code proposal this year to port Basket to
Akonadi, which we unfortunately couldn't get a slot for in the end (mainly as
a result of KDE getting fewer slots than last year).

However, Robert had volunteered to mentor the student should we have gotten
the slot, so I assume that some development is happening.

> I believe anyway this would endup in a more or less complete rewrite
>  (porting to kde4, akonadi and adjusting everything which is needed), so i
>  would rather start completely over.
>
> Anyway, i will forward this thread to the basket mailinglist to see if we
>  find some interested people.

Definitely a good idea.
At least Robert used to be subscribed here as well (CC'ing just in case he no
longer is)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring