[Kde-pim] akonadi_ical_resource problem

Douglas Harms dharms at depauw.edu
Fri May 29 02:44:05 BST 2009

I encountered another issue with akonadi that I wanted to ask about.  When I use kpilot to sync a palm pilot with 5600 records, it takes a *very* long time.  After kpilot inserts all 5600 records into akonadi, it takes akonadi_ical_resource 3 hours to process all of the new records.  Should it really take this long?

While akonadi_ical_resource is running I watch the database using akonadiconsole.  It seems that it takes about 6 seconds to insert each record.  (I notice that the new records in akonadi have an empty "Remote ID" field; about every 5-6 seconds one more record has a non-blank Remote ID value, and I assume this means that akonadi_ical_resource has now processed one more record.)

Any thoughts?  Any suggestions for how I can help debug this?

Thanks!

--Doug

Douglas E. Harms, Ph.D.
Computer Science Department
DePauw University
Greencastle, IN 46135
voice: 765.658.4727
fax: 765.658.4732
Skype: DouglasHarms
On Thursday, 2009-05-28, Douglas Harms wrote:
> Your guess appears to be correct!  When I disabled monitoring the sync
> worked; it also worked when I enabled monitoring but set the AutoSave
> interval to a time longer than it takes to process the akonadi records.
> (It was originally set for 1 minute autosave, and things worked when I
> increased it to 60 minutes.)

I was afraid so :-/

> This is a reasonable workaround for now, but I'm not sure if this is an
> acceptable long term solution for kpilot.  I don't think it's a good
> design when users might lose data if they have the autosave setting set
> too low.

Agreed

> Is there a way kpilot could temporarily disable monitoring on the
> akonadi file during the sync?  Or is there a better solution?

No, an application should not have to worry about details of resources.

I am not sure if this will make any difference, but you could try to use an
Akonadi::TransactionSequence as the parent of all your add jobs and then
execute the sequence instead of each job individually.

I am afraid, though, that this won't make any difference.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring