[Kde-pim] Right-To-Left (RTL) Support in KMail's Composer

Diego Iastrubni elcuco at kde.org
Tue Jun 2 17:42:05 BST 2009

On Tuesday 02 June 2009 17:45:55 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> The way to go here would be that someone modifies KRichTextEdit +
> KRichTextWidget in kdelibs to include those changes. Then it is only 1
> additional line in an RC file to add the RTL action to KMail.
Yes, the "patch" should be part of kdelibs... you are correct.

> Is there a way to detect if the current locale is RTL? If so, we could only
> add the action to the toolbar if that would be the case, since LTR users
> don't need that button.
QApplication::isRightToLeft()... but... why?

What if I live in Israel, and my desktop is English, or spanish? You will be
surprized, but a lof of people here use an English UI. We should have a
configuration in KControl(?), which will be default to off unless:

1) we are in an RTL locale
2) we are in in LTR locale, but XKB has a hebrew/arabic/farsi layout
3) enhanced support for RTL languages is set up in QtConfig

Watch for (2), in Windows Qt3/4 sets on "Enhanced support for RTL..."  if (2)
is true.

> No idea about your bug with the alignment not showing, that would need to
> be solved first.
> Isn't that solved by the third solution in your blog at
> http://elcuco2.blogspot.com/2008/10/qtextedit-and-qtextcursor-fun.html or
> am I missing something?
Yes, in my blog I tested the insertion of new paragraphs. In this new code I
modify existing paragraphs.

The post you linked to was done when I tried to set up the direction for
lokalize. Sadly, Lokalize does not set the direction properly under KDE 4.2
(tested on stock Kubuntu packages). I did not investigate this any further.