[Kde-pim] Android and KDE-PIM

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 21:23:29 BST 2009

2009/7/11 Andrew Mason <slackmase2 at gmail.com>:
> I don't mind writing an app if thats what it takes. I don't know how
> they can enforce requiring a google account before signing into the
> phone when the sim I am using doesn't allow internet access.  They are
> sending the phone out to me and haven't asked for a gmail account and
> I'm pretty sure they wouldn't assume everyone has wifi access. Maybe
> the firmware provided is slightly different in Australia.

When I got my phone you need to either have a Google account (not
necessarily a GMail one) to start up the phone for the first time and
also internet access from your carrier. I'd be very surprised if it's
radically different in Australia. The whole phone and 3rd-party
software is built around having constant data access and also around
storing all your data on Google's servers. If you don't have either
this maybe isn't the right phone for you. A lot of the newer Nokia's
sound like they'd meet the bill and they sync well with KDEPIM.

> Anyway since i'm writing my own calendaring / contacts application is
> there a particular file format / protocol that I should use in order
> to be compatible with a PDA/phone that Kontact already sync's with ?

Probably iCal/vCard, that's fairly standard. You'd probably need to
implement your own implementation of SyncML which won't be overly
easy. Good luck with it!

Mike Arthur
http://mikearthur.co.uk/