[Kde-pim] Android and KDE-PIM

Samat K Jain lists at samat.org
Sun Jul 12 02:15:23 BST 2009

On Thursday 09 July 2009 9:39:07 am, Andrew Mason wrote:
> So there is no application on the phone it's self that actually stores
> contacts /calendar information ? I haven't actually got the phone its
> self yet so i don't yet know how the whole thing works.

I've a T-Mobile G1, so I'll speak from experience...

There is an IMAP client included on the phone (I forget the name). However, it's not very good, and you may want to look at a fork called K9Mail instead:

http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/

The phone does not really let you "transfer" contacts in the traditional sense. The easiest way is to probably use the Akonadi Google Data resource to copy your contacts up to Google's cloud, and they'll then be instantly available on your phone.

I've not used the Akonadi Google Data resource myself (I've been unable to find packages anywhere, and have been to lazy to fetch the source and compile), but presumably it works well? What I did instead was write a custom vCard parser that uploaded contacts to Google for me. There's also a GUI tool which works great (mostly):

http://code.google.com/p/gcontacts/

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

I do know that the slickest way to lie is to tell the right amount of truth - then to shut up.
-- Robert Heinlein (265)