[Kde-pim] [Patch] Change the way Akregator handles new articles

Armin Berres trigger at space-based.de
Thu Jan 8 23:00:57 GMT 2009

Hi everybody!

Now that trunk is open again, I think it is the right time to talk with
you about a little patch I started to write during the Christmas
holidays.
What always bugged me with Akregator is the following: It is not
possible to see if a new Article "arrived" in a feed without opening the
feed manually. When being subscribed to a lot of feeds this can be quite
tedious. To overcome this, I propose to add a new column which shows the
count of unread articles additionally to the unread and total count. This is
completely implemented in the attached patch (at least I hope so).

When having this extra column there is a little problem: The column is
quite useless, because a new article is right now defined as "was
fetched the last time an update was triggered". IMHO this definition is
not that useful. What I would like better is the following: "An article
is new as long as the feed to which it belongs has not been viewed since
it has been fetched." I hope this is understandable. It is the way mutt
handles new mail in folders, if this helps.
This way one can always check which articles one hasn't seen yet and can
decide to read them now, or let it be. With the current definition and
enabled auto-fetch one nearly never sees new articles, just unread ones.
You also don't need to open all and every feed, you can just select the
ones with new articles.
This change is the rest of the patch. New articles will be marked as
unread as soon as you show another feed as the current.
The patch is WIP and I want your feedback before I continue with
anything.
Does this change make sense to you?

Problems/undecided things with the current patch:
- Should leaving a folder mark all new articles in contained feeds
  as unread?
- When a feed is open new articles never every get marked as unread if
  you don't do it manually. Maybe a fetch after the user read an article
  (or did show somehow else indicate, that he has seen the new articles)
  of this feed could mark them as unread. Especially interesting, if the
  user is just subscribed to one feed.
- Maybe more things I don't remember right now.
- There are changes in StorageDummyImpl I am not to sure about.

I have to say that I use the current patch for more than a week now
without any problems. It makes Akregator a whole lot more user friendly
for me.

Comments, criticism, proposals?
Should I maybe split the patch in two parts? One with the extra column
and one for the rest?

Greetings,
Armin