[Kde-pim] Google Summer of Code 2009

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Feb 25 21:18:46 GMT 2009

Hi Robert,

On Sunday 22 February 2009, Robert Ã…kerblom-Andersson wrote:
> Hello kde-pim mailing list!
>
> My name is Robert (http://forum.kde.org, Scorpiion) I have been interested
> of Google Summer of Code for about 1 to 2 years and deiced to apply for it
> this year. The organization I would like to apply for is KDE.

Excellent choice! :)

> I made a post on the kde.org forum a while ago and the people their told me
> to post on this list. Here you can read the tread
> http://forum.kde.org/google-summer-of-code-2009-t-32166.html
>
> My idea for the project was from the beginning to make a new app for
> training, an app where you could write down trainingdiary and such. You
> should be able to make up an traing plan for yourself or let the program
> make a traning plan for you after filling in some preferences. I have many
> ideas around this program but I think you got the idea, a secund thought
> that I got after starting to use Korganizer a lot more to see all it's
> functionality I started to wonder if it would be a better idea to lite add
> this functionality to Korganizer or maybe make a new program with
> Korganizer as a base and modify it and add the new functions. I'm not sure
> if it is a good or a bad idea to integrate it or not, since it's a that big
> and some people might not like it? I was just thinking that it could be to
> much setting and buttons but at the same time I guess you could always
> change that in the preferences if you dont like it.
>
> What do you guys think of my idea? Is it realistic?

I am not a big user of calendaring myself so the experts might see this
differently, but IMHO this sounds like a good idea.
It looks to me like this is all about scheduling and keeping track of how far
certain tasks have been completed.

Another thing you should probably have a look at is KPlato

http://koffice.org/kplato/

Maybe it is a mixture of both. In which case Akonadi integration for KPlato
might also be an interesting GSoC idea ;)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring