[Kde-pim] Google Summer of Code 2009

Robert Åkerblom-Andersson robert.nr1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 22:56:57 GMT 2009

2009/2/25 Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>

> Hi Robert,
>
> On Sunday 22 February 2009, Robert Åkerblom-Andersson wrote:
> > Hello kde-pim mailing list!
> >
> > My name is Robert (http://forum.kde.org, Scorpiion) I have been
> interested
> > of Google Summer of Code for about 1 to 2 years and deiced to apply for
> it
> > this year. The organization I would like to apply for is KDE.
>
> Excellent choice! :)
>
> > I made a post on the kde.org forum a while ago and the people their told
> me
> > to post on this list. Here you can read the tread
> > http://forum.kde.org/google-summer-of-code-2009-t-32166.html
> >
> > My idea for the project was from the beginning to make a new app for
> > training, an app where you could write down trainingdiary and such. You
> > should be able to make up an traing plan for yourself or let the program
> > make a traning plan for you after filling in some preferences. I have
> many
> > ideas around this program but I think you got the idea, a secund thought
> > that I got after starting to use Korganizer a lot more to see all it's
> > functionality I started to wonder if it would be a better idea to lite
> add
> > this functionality to Korganizer or maybe make a new program with
> > Korganizer as a base and modify it and add the new functions. I'm not
> sure
> > if it is a good or a bad idea to integrate it or not, since it's a that
> big
> > and some people might not like it? I was just thinking that it could be
> > much setting and buttons but at the same time I guess you could always
> > change that in the preferences if you dont like it.
> >
> > What do you guys think of my idea? Is it realistic?
>
> I am not a big user of calendaring myself so the experts might see this
> differently, but IMHO this sounds like a good idea.
> It looks to me like this is all about scheduling and keeping track of how
> far
> certain tasks have been completed.
>
> Another thing you should probably have a look at is KPlato
>
> http://koffice.org/kplato/
>
> Maybe it is a mixture of both. In which case Akonadi integration for KPlato
> might also be an interesting GSoC idea ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer
> KDE user support, developer mentoring

Hi thanks for the input!

I have never used koffice since I use openoffice, and therefor I guess I
have missed kplato aswell...
But I have seen the name.. :P haha

Downloading it right now to check it out a little more! Thanks for the tip.

This akonadi thing seams to be very "hot" if you get what I mean... Many
people have told me about that "akonadi integration" is something that
people thinks should be done. Because of this I have read some about it and
it really makes sense! But how much work is it to "add it" to some existing
project?

I really think that akonadi sounds interesting and fun! But if I for now a
start are thinking about GSoC 2009 should I aim for just "akonadi
integration" since it that might be a project of it's own. Or should I go
for this calendaring idea. Hm, and a third thought is can you push them both
into one project, but feels like it might be to much I dont know..

But if I have got the whole thing right I could give in more that one
proposal right, work out some proposals and then I dont really have to
choose in a way... :) (and yeah I'wee read the GSoC FAQ)

I'we been writting this for a long time now without sending it away, but now
I have downloaded and tested out Kplato! It really feels like an interesting
project as well! Something that I reflected on were the fact that it was in
"KDE 3.5 style", is there an KDE 4 version out like beta or something?

--
Mvh, Robert Åkerblom-Andersson