[Kde-pim] KDE 4.2 KPilot coming! (how to both be excited and have realistic expectations)

Gunter Ohrner G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Feb 1 09:13:32 GMT 2009

Hi!

Rats! Yesterday I busily wrote about my experiences with kpilot from KDE
4.2 final - too late I noticed nothing was sent in fact due to kNode bug
#182151... :-P

Ok, let's do it again...

Gunter Ohrner wrote:
> I just got Akonadi working and tested kpilot "Version 5.2.0-rc1 (KDE
> 4.2.0) Unter KDE 4.1.96 (KDE 4.1.96 (KDE 4.2 RC1))" against my Palm
> Centro.

I'm now using KDE 4.2.0 and am positively surprised by the bundled
kpilot version!

Now that I can sync my addressbook again I revived my old address
collection containing dozend addresses, imported it from KDE 3.5 and
took some time to revise and update it. I thought it would be a good
test for kpilot's reliability

While I had had some wired issues with kpilot from KDE 4.2 RC1 - not all
records were synced to my Palm, while other got magically duplicated in
place of the missing ones - I've had no problems so far using kpilot
from KDE 4.2.0.

In fact, even the mess created on my phone by kpilot test release was
fixed automatically when syncing with the final release for the first time.

So far, I've synced both schedules and contacts in both directions and
did not get any unexpected results so far.

So far, I just wanted to thank Jason and all the other kpilot authors
and contributors for their effort and their hard work - it's priceless
for me to have a working syncing solution again! :)

Should any problem pop up during my testing, I'll report back immediately.

Greetings,

   Gunter