[Kde-pim] KDE 4.2 KPilot coming! (how to both be excited and have realistic expectations)

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Mon Feb 2 02:07:32 GMT 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 4:13 AM, Gunter Ohrner
<G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Rats! Yesterday I busily wrote about my experiences with kpilot from KDE
> 4.2 final - too late I noticed nothing was sent in fact due to kNode bug
> #182151... :-P

Heh. =:)

> Ok, let's do it again...
>
> Gunter Ohrner wrote:
> > I just got Akonadi working and tested kpilot "Version 5.2.0-rc1 (KDE
> > 4.2.0) Unter KDE 4.1.96 (KDE 4.1.96 (KDE 4.2 RC1))" against my Palm
> > Centro.
>
> I'm now using KDE 4.2.0 and am positively surprised by the bundled
> kpilot version!
>
> Now that I can sync my addressbook again I revived my old address
> collection containing dozend addresses, imported it from KDE 3.5 and
> took some time to revise and update it. I thought it would be a good
> test for kpilot's reliability
>
> While I had had some wired issues with kpilot from KDE 4.2 RC1 - not all
> records were synced to my Palm, while other got magically duplicated in
> place of the missing ones - I've had no problems so far using kpilot
> from KDE 4.2.0.
>
> In fact, even the mess created on my phone by kpilot test release was
> fixed automatically when syncing with the final release for the first time.

Heh. Yay!!! =:)

> So far, I've synced both schedules and contacts in both directions and
> did not get any unexpected results so far.

Awesome!!! This is excellent to hear! =:) Thanks so much for reporting the
good news!! =:)

> So far, I just wanted to thank Jason and all the other kpilot authors
> and contributors for their effort and their hard work - it's priceless
> for me to have a working syncing solution again! :)

Heh. I definitely know what you mean and thank you very much for the kind
encouragement! =:)

Should any problem pop up during my testing, I'll report back immediately.

Yes, DEFINITELY please do!  There have been a few little buglets that we've
uncovered since 4.2.0 was released and we're fixing them as we find them in
the 4.2 branch (THANKS DOUG!!), so in the event that you find something
amiss, please do file a bug on bugs.kde.org and we'll look into it quickly.
=:)

Thanks again for the e-mail Gunter! =:)

--
-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-