[Kde-pim] Akonadi disaster

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Dec 29 20:30:44 GMT 2009

On Tuesday, 2009-12-29, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I'm (deliberately) running Fedora 12 with KDE 4.3.85 and for the first time
>  I find that Akonadi is running with kde-pim.  Initially I had constant
>  crashes, often finding it very difficult to get Kontact to start again.  I
>  was, however, able to run applications stand-alone, so that managed while
>  I tried to sort it out.  After watching screens of output I came to the
>  conclusion that Akonadi was searching for a folder called Local, under,
>  IIRC, /home/anne/.local/share/.  The folder didn't exist, of course.  I
>  pointed it to /home/anne/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox, and, after
>  several seconds of 'thinking about it' Kontact started up.  At that point
>  I though I was on a winner :-)

I am not sure what the Local thing is, my guess is has to do with the mail
dispatcher (though I thought we had it deactivated?).
Definitely not a good idea to point it anyway in .kde as it is something
totally different.

> The shock came this morning when I restarted Kontact.  My addressbook was
> empty - something I haven't seen for years.  I restored the file from a
>  backup one, but I can't find any way of persuading the content to show up.
>   I presume the database says I have no contacts in my addressbook.  How
>  can I put this right?  Thanks

run kcmshell4 kcm_akonadi or akonadiconsole and check if you have a vcard
resource pointing to your vcf file.

If not add it, e.g.through KAddressBook -> New -> Add Address Book

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring