[Kde-pim] Akonadi disaster

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Wed Dec 30 09:58:21 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 20:30:44 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2009-12-29, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I'm (deliberately) running Fedora 12 with KDE 4.3.85 and for the first
> > time I find that Akonadi is running with kde-pim.  Initially I had
> > constant crashes, often finding it very difficult to get Kontact to start
> > again.  I was, however, able to run applications stand-alone, so that
> > managed while I tried to sort it out.  After watching screens of output I
> > came to the conclusion that Akonadi was searching for a folder called
> > Local, under, IIRC, /home/anne/.local/share/.  The folder didn't exist,
> > of course.  I pointed it to /home/anne/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox,
> > and, after several seconds of 'thinking about it' Kontact started up.  At
> > that point I though I was on a winner :-)
>
> I am not sure what the Local thing is, my guess is has to do with the mail
> dispatcher (though I thought we had it deactivated?).
> Definitely not a good idea to point it anyway in .kde as it is something
> totally different.

OK - so it would be helpful to have an explanation of what we should do with
it, since leaving it alone makes KMail and Kontact in an ususable state.  If
someone can help me on this I'll spread the info around as much as possible,
through userbase, MLs and the Forum.

> > The shock came this morning when I restarted Kontact.  My addressbook was
> > empty - something I haven't seen for years.  I restored the file from a
> >  backup one, but I can't find any way of persuading the content to show
> > up. I presume the database says I have no contacts in my addressbook.
> > How can I put this right?  Thanks
>
> run kcmshell4 kcm_akonadi or akonadiconsole and check if you have a vcard
> resource pointing to your vcf file.

I had checked that the resource pointed to the file, first thing.  It is
listed as std.vcf, and points to the correct file, but nothing displays.

> If not add it, e.g.through KAddressBook -> New -> Add Address Book

I discovered this about half an hour ago :-) and can confirm that I now have a
working AddressBook.  That begs the question, though, as to what has actually
gone wrong.  It rather looks to me as though it recognised the path as the
right one, but not the actual resource type.  I've left it alone, in case I
can help with any debugging of this, adding my new one with a different name.
Please let me know if I can check anything that might be helpful to you.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group