[Kde-pim] [RFC] Contact specific Akonadi API

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Fri Aug 7 23:07:56 BST 2009

On Friday 07 August 2009, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday 07 August 2009 18:03:29 you wrote:
> > after renaming KContactManager to KAddressBook I disabled several
> > functionality in KOrganizer, KMail and some other PIM components
> > which made use of DBus interfaces of the old KAddressBook to add,
> > edit or just display contacts. With the shift to Akonadi we go away
> > from an application based system to a components/service based system.
> > So applications shouldn't start other applications and control them
> > via DBus to execute some task, instead code to fulfil the common tasks
> > should be put into a library and both, the 'main' application
> > (e.g. KMail for email) and other applications (e.g. a biff plasmoid)
> > shall make use of it.
>
> +1, the current way of using D-Bus is not really nice, and has some problems
> as recent threads showed.
>
> > So functionality from the old KAddressBook interface should be moved
> > to a library as well and be usable by any other KDE application.
> > The question is now:
> >   What tasks are common enough to be worth putting them into the library?
> >
> > The tasks I came up for contacts are the following:
> >
> >   * tasks without gui involvement
> >     - create a new contact in a predefined address book
> >     - modify a contact with a given uid
> >     - delete a contact with a given uid
> >     - search a contact that matches a given pattern
> - find a distribution list by name (used by KMail, distributionlistdialog.cpp)
> - other API that is currently in the addressbook API, like whoAmI()
> - getting a list of addressbooks

- getting the "default" addressbook - if something like this exists.
  This is useful when a synchronization software wants to add contacts and does not know about
  different addressbooks.

wasn't there a project creating an Akonadi/opensync plugin ? Maybe check with the author what he needs.

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin    ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail

Geschenkideen, Accessoires, Seifen, Kulinarisches: www.bibibest.at