[Kde-pim] [RFC] Contact specific Akonadi API

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Fri Aug 7 18:23:12 BST 2009

Hi,

On Friday 07 August 2009 18:03:29 you wrote:
> after renaming KContactManager to KAddressBook I disabled several
> functionality in KOrganizer, KMail and some other PIM components
> which made use of DBus interfaces of the old KAddressBook to add,
> edit or just display contacts. With the shift to Akonadi we go away
> from an application based system to a components/service based system.
> So applications shouldn't start other applications and control them
> via DBus to execute some task, instead code to fulfil the common tasks
> should be put into a library and both, the 'main' application
> (e.g. KMail for email) and other applications (e.g. a biff plasmoid)
> shall make use of it.

+1, the current way of using D-Bus is not really nice, and has some problems
as recent threads showed.

> So functionality from the old KAddressBook interface should be moved
> to a library as well and be usable by any other KDE application.
> The question is now:
>   What tasks are common enough to be worth putting them into the library?
>
> The tasks I came up for contacts are the following:
>
>   * tasks without gui involvement
>     - create a new contact in a predefined address book
>     - modify a contact with a given uid
>     - delete a contact with a given uid
>     - search a contact that matches a given pattern
- find a distribution list by name (used by KMail, distributionlistdialog.cpp)
- other API that is currently in the addressbook API, like whoAmI()
- getting a list of addressbooks

>   * tasks with gui involvement
>     - create a new contact and allow the user to select the target address
>  book - modify a contact with a given uid by show up a dialog, where the
>  user can edit the contact - view a contact by show up a dialog
- show an existing contact in the addressbook editor or viewer

The above seems to cover the uses in KMail already, so we'd have to see how it
goes when we do the actual porting.

Regards,
Thomas