[Kde-pim] RFC: Creating kdepimlibs-experimental

Christophe Giboudeaux cgiboudeaux at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 15:13:01 BST 2009

Hello,

Before KDE 4.3, we decided to split the kdepim files into two tarballs :

- kdepim for the applications (KMail, Akregator...)

- kdepim-runtime for the akonadi stuff (migration tools, tray, resources,
clients...)

However, we have a few problems due to some not yet stable libraries being in
the same tarball, namely akonadi_next and the new contact library.

This is an issue for packagers who provide weekly snapshots (openSuse, Arch
and probably a few others) as I have to prevent a few applications from
building due to dependencies.

Example #1 :
- Kpilot now requires some headers from akonadi_next. problem: kpilot is in
the kdepim tarball, akonadi_next is in the kdepim-runtime one.

Example #2 :
- KaddrBookExternal was ported and now uses some includes from
akonadi/contact.

Since this is required by KMail, it can't be moved to libkdepim-copy (not the
same tarball) and we can't disable kmail if kdepim/akonadi doesn't exist.

We also can't install headers from kdepim-runtime (even if the reality is a
bit different actually).

Two suggestions:

- Move the libraries to kdepimlibs and check before 4.4 alpha if their API is
stable.

- Create kdepimlibs-experimental and release them in a separate tarball
(that's what is done for kdelibs currently)

Comments ? suggestions ?

Thanks.
Christophe.