[Kde-pim] For review: Better support of rich text summary/location

Thomas Thrainer tom_t at gmx.at
Tue Jun 10 16:00:32 BST 2008

Am Dienstag, 10. Juni 2008 schrieb Allen Winter:
> A couple of things:
> - in the new richFoo() methods, please put @since 4.1 in their apidox
done.

> - The existing API is frozen, so I don't think we can change the default
>   values for isRich in setSummary(), setDescription() and setLocation().
>   maybe you can create some new methods that do things the new way
>   and KDE_DEPRECATE the current ones?  unfortunately, I don't think
>   we can overload the new way because the signatures will be the same.
The reason why I changed the behaviour of setSummary() without second argument
was that otherwise isRichText=false is assumed. AFAIK nowhere in KOrganizer
it is taken care of setting the second parameter accordingly. So everytime
when some part sets the summary or location, we would assume that the text is
not rich text.
So, without searching and changing all those places where setSummary() or
setLocation() is called with just one parameter, rich text would never work.
If you typed, for example, a summary like "<b>important</b>" in an application
which just calls setSummary() with one parameter, you would end up with this
literal string displayed everywhere.
So I changed the behaviour in order to avoid future bugs, which would arise
sooner or later...

How would you name the new methods? I can't really come up with a good name
(setIntelligentSummary()?, setMaybeRichSummary()?, setRichSummary() and
setNotRichSummary()?)

I can, of course, try to find as much occurences of setSummary() and
setLocation() and change them to the new method, but I'm sure that I would
miss quite a few...

> - you changed some i18n() strings (removed  ) .. you can't do that
>   as we are in a string freeze.
oops, sorry, I was quite tired and only left the comment unchanged, but not
the actual content...