[Kde-pim] Kde-pim identities

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Tue Jul 29 19:26:36 BST 2008

Hello Pier-Olivier,

On Sunday 27 July 2008 21:15, Pier-Olivier Thibault wrote:
> On Sunday 27 July 2008 14:16:47 Gaffer. wrote:
> > Hi ingo,

> > > I think you are misunderstanding. The information gathered by
> > > KDE would only be available to the user the information belongs
> > > to and it would only be used to give you a better user
> > > experience.
> >
> > I'm fine with that !  I would strongly object to making it
> > publicly accessible !
>
> I never mentionned the resource being publicly available. And the
> reason why I didn't mention anything about being private/public is
> that Akonadi is a personal data Protocol and storage. The Akonadi's
> infrastructure is already private... The Identity resource I wanted
> to work on was intended to give more transparency between
> application that a user chooses to use.

Your wording in the original post was open to very broad
interpretation !

Then when you start saying

"we could have the same function as WinXP that shows how many e-mails
have not been read before the user log on, How many contacts are
online on his IM protocol he is using, etc. "

The implication is that you want to copy M$ behaviour...    Are you
surprised that this gets jumped on !

> I don't know what made everyone suspicious about personal info. All
> the data I'm interested in are not sensible data. A strict API only
> returning unread mail is not what I call sensible data.

For my part I should have realised that English is not your native
language, for that I apologise.

> > > This is clearly a task for Nepomuk.

> > > I agree with Derrick, that this would be a breach of privacy.
> > > This information is of no concern for anybody but me and
> > > therefore it must only be shown to me. FWIW, I hate this WinXP
> > > feature.
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Ingo
>
> Anyhow, I think the overall reaction to this idea is that it is
> something that could be useful as a part of Akonadi resource. But
> in order to be useful, it has to be secure and does not hands over
> sensible data so a "security layer" could be worked out to make
> sure nothing bad can happen.

More clarity in your original post would have been preferred !

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.