[Kde-pim] Kde-pim identities

Pier-Olivier Thibault ximaginex at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 22:35:37 BST 2008

Sorry I'll make things clearer by restating more thoughtfully what my
main idea is.

1. PIM has evolved so much that now it is not really a separate
application that manage our PIM but everything you do on a computer is
based on personal Information: E-mails, IM, IRC, Calendar, wikis, even
Browsing the Web on most website needs authentification.

2. While the Oses become more and more transparent with PIM data, it
is clear that we need some sort of resource or management that could
make all the information available in a very clean and reliable way.

3. Akonadi has proven itself to serve reliably as a storage for PIM data.
Serving for e-mails, vcard resource, etc.

4. Most of the thing we do while on a computer are using "user" or
"identity" I know that in some cases (like Kmail) you may need 2 or 3
different "signature" or "contact information" so that you can use the
right one depending on who you are communicating with. While those
are not really identity but contact info (Much like you have a phone
number at home and one at work. Even though the number are
different, the person you are reaching is the same) Most of the time, you
are using the same basic information like your name, your birthday, your
address, your phone number, etc.

5. Instead of storing and accessing them through different means (
KMail, KaddressBook for some info, IdentityManager for some other, even
KWallet in some areas...) I think it would be easy for any program that
needs the information to get what's necessary for it to run properly.

6. Managing your PIM in only one place for all your personnal setting
would also make things more consistent( A bit like IdentityManager that
is used in Control Center and Kmail ).

7. Obviously these information are only accessible to the user. Another
user can't gain access of such information( Database on Akonadi resides
in ~/ so other user doesn't have access... privacy should not be a
problem here)

8. Maybe Akonadi is not the solution for this matter. Maybe some other
framework would be more appropriate or maybe a brand new library
would be more suited for that. My opinion was that Akonadi was the
right answer, but apparently, I could be wrong.

9. This way, Information could be shared easily with applets, plasmoids,
and what not. I think this would be great for PIM.

Finally, I honestly don't see any security problem as once you're loggin
on your user, you usually want to _use_ your personal information... All of
this would always be only accessible to user and I think that is quite the
opposite of Nepomuk which tries to take your information to share it with
others.