[Kde-pim] Decibel akonadi integration

Tobias Hunger tobias at aquazul.com
Tue Feb 19 19:00:16 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Tobias Koenig wrote:
Hello Tobias!

> > 3) decibel should store the data itself and feed it into akonadi
> > through its own agent and then have
> >     it linked to the address book by some means within akonadi,
>
> That's the right way to go IMHO. There should be an agent which syncs
> the state information from decibel with Akonadi and there should be an
> additional nepomuk_im_feeder which stores the assocciations between
> the contacts and the status in Nepomuk.

I do not agree with you here.

To make an informed decision on how to try to contact somebody we need the
contact's IM/phone data as well as historic information (is he currently
visible on one of his accounts, which account does he prefer, where was he
last seen, etc.). In my understanding it makes little sense to split this
information up into separate data stores that we then need to keep in sync.

I understood akonadi to be a unified storage system for everything PIM
related. Was I mistaken there? Is there a technical reason not to store the
data in akonadi? Doesn't it handle the updates well? Why should we use a
separate storage?

Best Regards,
Tobias