[Kde-pim] Decibel akonadi integration

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Tue Feb 19 21:27:52 GMT 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 08:00:16PM +0100, Tobias Hunger wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> Hello Tobias!
Hej Tobias,

> > That's the right way to go IMHO. There should be an agent which syncs
> > the state information from decibel with Akonadi and there should be an
> > additional nepomuk_im_feeder which stores the assocciations between
> > the contacts and the status in Nepomuk.
>
> I do not agree with you here.
>
> To make an informed decision on how to try to contact somebody we need the
> contact's IM/phone data as well as historic information (is he currently
> visible on one of his accounts, which account does he prefer, where was he
> last seen, etc.). In my understanding it makes little sense to split this
> information up into separate data stores that we then need to keep in sync.
The information is 'glued' together via Nepomuk, which allows you to do
semantic searches.

> I understood akonadi to be a unified storage system for everything PIM
> related. Was I mistaken there? Is there a technical reason not to store the
> data in akonadi? Doesn't it handle the updates well? Why should we use a
> separate storage?
It's not a separated storage. The IM data are stored in Akonadi as well,
just as another mimetype (not inside vCard). The nepomuk_im_feeder would
put the IM information to Nepomuk (as nepomuk_contact_feeder does for
the vcards) where they are bound semantically.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Council of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!