[Kde-pim] Decibel akonadi integration

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Feb 19 14:48:09 GMT 2008

Hi George,

On Tuesday 19 February 2008, George Goldberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working at the moment on the beginnings of integrating decibel with
> akonadi.

Great!

> Decibel will provide IM contacts of the user, and their
> online/offline/away/etc status (ie. their presence information).
>
> So, obviously we want to have this presence information in akonadi so
> all KDE apps can get at it.
> However, I have some questions about the best way to store this data.

IMHO presence information is too short lived to make sense for storing in
Akonadi.

However, it will be good to have the IM "address" as part of a PIM contact
data, i.e. inside the respective addressee (and probably create a new one if
there isn't a matching one yet)

> So, the first question I have, is whether:
> 1) this presence information can be stored through KABC's current API

See above.

> 2) KABC's API should be altered to accomodate it

The KABC::Addressee probably needs to be extended to support IM contact
information like it does for phone numbers or (postal) addresses, i.e.
allowing a list and probably having a preferred one (though preference might
depend on the presence state of each currently available transport method)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring