[Kde-pim] KMails Account Wizard

Manfred Mislik tic at tictric.net
Sat Dec 20 21:45:17 GMT 2008

As I'm working through the new Getting Started section I found that the
Account Wizard probably needs an overhaul.

Why? Because I started to think about the type of user that actually _needs_
this type of setup help. I came to the conclusion that its main audience will
be the inexperienced type of user that does want to get his email account
working with the setup data that he got from his provider, but does not care
about too much detail.

Such a user is going to be confused by the wizard dialog that not offers her to
set up an email account but offers the choice between weird stuff like "Local
mailbox", "POP3", "IMAP", "Disconnected IMAP" and "Maildir mailbox". What the
heck is that about? I want email!

Because of that I think there should only be the choice between "POP3" and
"IMAP" with a short explanation underneath depending on which of the two is
being selected at the moment. An additional checkbox could offer "Advanced
Settings" that the experienced user is going to skip anyway because he most
likely hits <ESC> and goes straight to the configuration dialog to set up his
identities and accounts.

Hm, in this case I'd say the "Advanced Settings" checkbox should actually be a
"Advanced Settings" button that just opens the configuration dialog and be done
with it.

Manfred
tictric at jabber.ccc.de