[Kde-pim] KMails Account Wizard

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Sun Dec 21 16:55:25 GMT 2008

On Saturday 20 December 2008 22:45:17 Manfred Mislik wrote:
> As I'm working through the new Getting Started section I found that the
> Account Wizard probably needs an overhaul.
>
> Why? Because I started to think about the type of user that actually
> _needs_ this type of setup help. I came to the conclusion that its main
> audience will be the inexperienced type of user that does want to get his
> email account working with the setup data that he got from his provider,
> but does not care about too much detail.
>
> Such a user is going to be confused by the wizard dialog that not offers
> her to set up an email account but offers the choice between weird stuff
> like "Local mailbox", "POP3", "IMAP", "Disconnected IMAP" and "Maildir
> mailbox". What the heck is that about? I want email!

If the inexperienced user gets the information form his provider, that will
usually also include if the account is POP or IMAP, so the user should not
have too much trouble selecting this here.

> Because of that I think there should only be the choice between "POP3" and
> "IMAP" with a short explanation underneath depending on which of the two is
> being selected at the moment. An additional checkbox could offer "Advanced
> Settings" that the experienced user is going to skip anyway because he most
> likely hits <ESC> and goes straight to the configuration dialog to set up
> his identities and accounts.
>
> Hm, in this case I'd say the "Advanced Settings" checkbox should actually
> be a "Advanced Settings" button that just opens the configuration dialog
> and be done with it.

I think having an "Advanced Settings" button which opens the configure dialog
is not a good idea, I would leave that altogether.
I agree that "Local mailbox" or "Maildir mailbox" should probably not be in
this wizard, but "Disconnected IMAP" should be.
We should add a Help button to the wizard which opens the handbook at the new
account wizard section, though.

Regards,
Thomas